Now known as Swaraj Dweep, Havelock Island receives the maximum footfall in the Andaman Islands owing to its pristine beaches and turquoise waters. It has also the best infrastructure for a number of water activities, thus ensuring an incredible experience for everyone. You can try scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, and a lot more. The island offers a relaxed atmosphere with tropical vibes. Its beaches are dotted with PADI diving centres, cute cafes, and luxurious beachfront properties. Reaching here is very simple. It is only two hours away from Port Blair by boat. Moreover, a trip to Havelock Island is suitable for all budgets.
Now known as Swaraj Dweep, Havelock Island is the most beautiful gem of the Indian union territory- Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It is the most popular island among travellers and is located nearly 70 kilometers from Port Blair, the capital city. The island is known for its white sandy beaches, azure waters, and the best diving spots in Asia. Havelock Island is like a wonderland for all age groups. Here you can laze around on its stunning beaches, explore its serene and dense mangroves, swim around colorful corals while scuba diving, and trek across the wild jungle trails. Havelock Island offers more than what you can imagine!
How to reach Havelock Island?
You can reach this island by sea as well as by air. However, the best and the easiest way to travel would be by the sea. Private and Government ferries operate from Port Blair and Neil Island, which are the neighboring islands. Booking from private ferries is stress-free and you don’t need to wait in long queues. These are the lifeline of the Andaman Islands as they connect so many islands with each other. The same can be booked through Andaman Island Travels for an easy and worry-free experience.
Getting around in Havelock Island
Commuting via local transport in Swaraj Dweep is quite easy. Roads are well set and straight. The chances of getting lost are almost impossible as everything is by road and also, locals are very helpful. The best ways to getting around the island are as follows:
- Tourist taxis- You can tent a taxi from Havelock jetty and the drivers will be waiting at the jetty. But please know that it may be overpriced and you have to bargain a lot. That’s why the best option would be to book a cab in advance from Andaman Island Travels. It will save a lot of your time and effort.
- Bike rentals- The easiest way to get around the island is by renting a scooty. You can hire it on daily basis at around Rs. 500 per day. Fuel stations get shut by evening, so ensure that you have enough fuel. Also, avoid it during monsoons as roads can get slippery.
- Auto rickshaws- Autos are also available for short rides as well as long rides. But you cannot depend on them if there is some holiday.
- Public transport- If you are strictly on a budget trip, then you can opt for shared jeeps and public buses for commuting within Havelock Island.
Must-visit beaches In Havelock Island
The beaches of Havelock Island are amazingly gorgeous. They are sure to spellbind you. For an incredible beach experience in the Andamans, you have to visit the below-mentioned beaches:
Elephant Beach is heaven! It is beautiful beyond any words. It is like a huge, endless blanket of different shades of blue. The grandeur of bright green trees grown on white sand below the white clouds that look like cotton candy tucked in a clear blue sky is indescribable. There are a variety of beautiful shells spread all over the place like jewels. The splendor of this beach cannot be described in any words or photographs. You get to feel it yourself by seeing it with your own eyes.Apart from getting surrounded by an aura of magnificence here, you can also indulge in an underwater fun activity- sea walking. This beach is known for offering a fabulous view of the underwater marine life. Earlier, scuba diving could also be done there but now that has been discontinued and is open for sea walking only.
There is no road network to reach this beach. One has to take either ferry or trek for an hour to get there.
It will take only twenty minutes via scootyto reach Radhanagar Beach from Elephant Beach. It is counted among Asia’s most beautiful and the world’s top ten beaches. This marvelous slice of heaven is everyone’s favorite beach in Havelock Island. You can’t get enough of it in just one visit. It’s a must-visit for every nature and beach lover. Your beach vacation is incomplete without including Radhanagar Beach in your itinerary. The white silky sand, emerald blue sea and white foam waves make it a perfect spot for relaxing amid the natural beauty. There are lush and verdant trees on its side. No water sports are allowed there in order to preserve the gorgeousness of this attraction; so you can choose to either swim or sunbathe at this tranquil beach. We would suggest going there in the late afternoon so that you can see the lovely sunset in the evening.
It is a fabulous lagoon situated northwest of Radhanagar Beach.A part of Radhanagar beach itself, it is formed by enclosed coral reefs and is surrounded by lush green vegetation. Here, you will find unique rock formations that are created by millions of years of erosion. The water is shallow and crystal clear, which makes this lagoon perfect for snorkeling. Owing to the presence of water crocodiles during dusk and dawn, swimming is strictly prohibited at these timings.
Just a 25-minute drive from Radhanagar Beach will take you to this pristine beach. With dense forest in the backdrop, Kalapathar Beach is a long stretch of golden sand beds, aqua water and big black rocks. It is a small but delightful beach. You can stroll here amidst the stunning scenic beauty while feeling the cool breeze on your face. The black rocks along the seashore present a vivid contrast with the bright sand. There are green forests engulfing the beach from all sides.
Vijay Nagar Beach
It’s a quiet beach having white sand, turquoise water and coconut trees. It is so calm and you can actually feel the sea breeze flowing around you. You won’t find many people there. It is perfect for nature lovers and photographers. Moreover, you should definitely go there during night time. It will be an altogether different experience.
Govind Nagar Beach
A little underrated in the Andamans, Govind Nagar Beach is one of the loveliest beaches on the island. It is known for its extremely clean, turquoise blue waters, soft powder-like sand, and complete tranquility. This beach is the favorite of beach bums where they can go for long strolls. It is easily accessible from the Dive India Scuba Diving Centre.
You have to go to Havelock Island to see the best beaches in India. It is a home of pristine beauty. Along with that, the people there are amazing as well. They are considerate and ready to help.
Where to go for scuba diving in Havelock Island?
Scuba diving is one of the most popular water activities in the world. The Andamans are surrounded by the underwater coastal belts, which are home to a dense ecosystem of coral reefs and formations.The unique topography of the Andaman Island makes the diving experience hard to get anywhere else. Some of them are complemented by volcanic lava hills as well! The abundance of corals and fish often enclose the diver from all directions that is enough to leave him in wonder and awe. During your vacations in the stunning Andaman Island, don’t forget to go for one of the finest scuba diving experiences in India that you can have in Havelock Island.
Top diving sites in Havelock Island
Going under the depths of these waters is exactly the type of experience that you are looking for.
- Barracuda City – For beginners, this is simply the best spot for diving. Its rich ecosystem offers tons of fish of diverse species and colors. If you are seeking a highly unique and terrific experience, then Barracuda City is the perfect spot for you.
- Turtle Bay – As evident from the name, Turtle Bay has plenty of sea turtles. This spot is perfect for you if you are a true lover of natural marine life. Overall, you can definitely pick this spot for your first diving experience.
- Seduction Point – A huge underwater rock displaying an ample range of marine life is what describes this hilly underwater world the best.
- Mac Point – The capital animal of Andaman- Dugong, which is also known as sea-cow, can be easily spotted here.
- Aquarium – Promising a lot to beginners, this spot is a bit offshore at a distance of three kilometers from the Elephant Beach. You can see hard corals here in its clear water that is perfect for a good view of marine life.
- The Wall – If you want to have an extraordinary diving experience in Andaman Island, then The Wall is a great place, which is covered with soft corals and a highly rich marine life.
- Minerva Ledge – It is simply described as an enormous block of hard corals in clear waters, with sea dwellers including sharks. It promises a rare glimpse of the underwater kingdom along with an enthralling diving experience.
- Pilot Reef – It is known for having abundant hard corals along with unique fish such as leopard and whitetip sharks among others.
- Lighthouse – If you want to witness the perfect balance of vibrant fish and soft & hard corals, then this is your one-stop destination. You can dive here at night also since the water clarity is great here.
Other scuba diving sites in Havelock Island
- MV Mars
- Red Pillar
- The Slope
- Purple Haze
- S.S. Inchkett
- Jackson’s Bar
- Broken Ledge
- Jonny George
- Whitehouse Rock
- Dicksons Pinnacle
Thanks to the preserved marine life and alive corals around the shore and beyond. Its rich population of corals is sure to take away your breath! To tick a memorable underwater experience off your bucket list, choose Havelock Island as your next travel destination. The waters are clear enough for an excellent view of the underwater world.
What else you should not miss doing in Havelock Island?
This island is popular for its pristine beaches, crystal clear waters, and a variety of water sports. It is like a fun magnet that attracts everyone towards its splendor. Here’s what all you can do during your vacation:
- Kayaking- Kayak your way through the fabulous mangrove forests. You can also choose to club kayaking with snorkeling or going for a night kayaking tour. Anyone can do this fun activity as you don’t need to be a swimming expert. But make sure that you do it with a certified instructor for an exciting and fun-filled experience.
- Candlelight Dinner- Enjoying a romantic candlelight dinner by the pristine waters of the Andaman Islands is something that can be cherished for lifelong. When the cool breeze in the atmosphere touches your face while you take a sip of your favorite wine and eat the delectable dishes, all your worries will vanish in no time.
- Snorkeling- Havelock Island has some of the best spots for snorkeling in India. You will notice the colorful reefs of the ocean shining through your underwater goggles. You can have a look at the marine life and the rarest corals while performing this activity on this island.
- Game Fishing- You can go for an enthralling fishing adventure in the great Andaman Sea. The whole activity will take two-four hours. Right from the very beginning, learn how to fish while cruising along the sea.
- Shopping- Travelling to Havelock Island means a lot of shopping, especially if you are travelling with your girl gang. Girls’ eternal connection with shopping cannot be understood by anyone else. Just go out to its popular markets like Aberdeen Bazaar or Sagarika Emporium to buy stunning shell-based products, cane artifacts and superb jewelry. Even window shopping with your squad will make your beach holidays truly memorable.
Where to stay in Havelock Island?
Whenever planning a vacation in Andaman Island, book your stay at Havelock Island Beach Resort. It is a great place for underwater fun and adventure. Whether you are travelling solo, with your partner or with your family, scuba diving in Havelock Islands is something that you should never skip.Havelock Island Beach Resort is a highly recommended beachfront property. It is sure to give complete worth to your money. Here, you will get the best sea-views and you can also walk on the shoreline. It has rooms and cottages for all budgets. If you are an adrenaline junkie and are willing to try various water sports, then the resort will also book slots of scuba diving, sea walking, snorkeling, etc. for you. Its huge swimming pool is a perfect place to unwind and relax after all the sightseeing and sun-basking. Just sit by the poolside and enjoy your favorite drink or choose to dive into the pool to have a great swimming experience.
Some of the other highly recommended places to stay in Havelock Island are mentioned below:
- Taj Exotica- This beachfront property located on the pristine Radhanagar Beach needs no introduction. The rooms are lavish and the views are serene. Staying here for a few days is all the relaxation you need.
- Barefoot- It offers a luxurious jungle stay. Located right next to Radhanagar Beach, the resort’s staff can also make arrangements for all the activities for families and friends.
- Sea Shell resort- This beach facing property is perfect for a high-end luxury traveller. Its spa, infinity pool and candlelight dinners under the stars are some of its major highlights.
- Jalakara- This lovely boutique hotel is located amidst rainforest of the Havelock Island. It offers extremely beautiful rooms and a huge pool.
- Flying Elephant- Inspired by Indian culture, yoga and décor, this property features well-ventilated bamboo cottages, an open-air shower area, and positive vibes.
Among all the islands in the Andamans, the infrastructure for tourists is the best in Havelock Island. You can choose to stay at a beach resort at affordable rates or a highly luxurious cottage at a premium cost. The prices vary depending on the off and peak tourist seasons. During peak season, the best places get filled up quite fast and prices shoot up. Thus, it is advisable to book in advance.
Low Budget: INR 500- 3000
Mid-range: INR 4000- 8000
Premium stays: INR 15000- 25000
Mentioned below are the other stays that we recommend in Havelock Island:
- The Kingdom Resort
- El Dorado
- Radhakrishna Resort
- Green Valley Resort
- Gold Star Beach Resort
- Orient Legend Resort
- Emerald Gecko
- Royal Palace
- Wild Orchid Beach Resort
- Symphony Palm Beach Resort
- Holiday Inn Beach Resort
- Coral Reef Resort
- Havelock Holiday Beach Resort
- Aparupa Sands Marina
- Cross Bill Beach Resort
- Silver Sand Beach Resort
- Munjoh Ocean Resort
Where to eat and enjoy the nightlife in Havelock Island?
Do you know that the island is a great party destination as well and offers you an exciting nightlife and dining experience? There are several restaurants and clubs that host happening events and parties. The vibrant nightlife of the Andaman Islands can be best witnessed in Havelock Island. Andaman entertainment is not too loud and offers a unique experience. In case you want to experience more than the tranquility of this island, then this is your one-stop destination.
Top nightlife spots in Havelock Island
- Nemo Cafe
- Bonova cafe and pub
- Full moon cafe
- Something different – A Beachside Cafe
- Venom Bar
- Cicida Lounge Bar
Best restaurants & food outlets in Havelock Island
- The Nemo Café
- Sea Dragon Restaurant
- Something Different
- Anju Coco Resto
- Fat Martin Café
- Full Moon Café
- Bonova Café
- Dakshin Restaurant
- Golden Spoon
How long to stay in Havelock Island?
When in this gorgeous place, you should definitely include Radhanagar Beach, Elephant Beach, and Kalapathar beach along with other spots in your travel itinerary. Moreover, it is a hub of water sports as well. Adrenaline junkies, take a note! We would recommend staying here for at least two-three days in Havelock Island if you want to explore and appreciate the beauty of this natural marvel.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Havelock Island
Swaraj Dweep can be visited at any time of the year as it has a moderate climate. But the best time to plan a vacation here is between October and May.We recommend you carry cash to the island as ATMs may not be working.You can get basic supplies from the market. Keep a tube of insect and mosquito repellant with you. You can also buy a hammock, beach accessories, artificial jewelry, etc. from the souvenir shops.For basic treatment facilities and a pharmacy, government-run Primary Healthcare Center (PHC) is there. Special treatment and emergency cases are transferred to Port Blair Hospital.
Havelock Island is counted among the safest destinations across the whole of India. The Andaman and Nicobar Police (ANP) force is very much efficient in maintaining a favorable law and order.Do not go for swimming where the beaches are rocky.Do not take a flight the same day you dive.Knowing Hindi and English will get you by easily in Havelock Island. People also speak Bengali, Telugu, and Tamil here.For emergencies and inter-island transportation, the government-run helicopter is available. The service is used for medical emergencies along with other emergencies such as VIP transportation, local islanders’ transportation, etc.
Havelock Island: A great destination for underwater wedding
If you ever thought of exchanging vows beneath the shimmering waters of a sea and wanting to tie the knot in the untouched depths of the magical marine life, then you should know that Havelock Island located in the Indian union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is gaining popularity of conducting such a unique wedding in the depths of the Arabian Sea.
The underwater wedding ceremony is held a few feet below sea level, and the bride and groom can be accompanied by their close friends and family members. An underwater stage made of coconut shells, flowers, and palm leaves can be set up. The rich marine life will form the backdrop of the event. The vows can be exchanged using placards.
Havelock Island has among the best underwater sites for marine life-loving couples where they can take the plunge and exchange their rings. Imagine getting surrounded bytropical fish and fascinating sea creatures. You don’t have to be an expert swimmer to get married under the water. You and your lover can seal the deal in a unique aquatic style without any hassle at all. For that, you don’t need to be a certified diver as air helmets are supplied to you that allows breathing under the water without s mask. You can smile, laugh and blow kisses, too! The cherry on the cake, you will already be in one of the most romantic honeymoon destination spots in India.
After finalizing the diving location, you should make sure that there is a professional dive centre nearby that is willing and capable of helping with the logistics. Resorts in Havelock such as Havelock Island Beach Resort have cottoned on to the underwater wedding trend. It offers packages as per your requirements that take the stress of planning the details off your hands. There are a lot of things to be kept in mind while making arrangements for your underwater wedding. Thus, hiring the resort’s expert team to make the biggest day of your life even more special would be the best thing to do. You should only focus on enjoying your D-Day!
Not a very much popular trend in India as of now, but Havelock Island is slowly gaining acceptance as being the destination for underwater weddings. The tiny island is a diver’s paradise and one of the best places in the country for shore diving as well. This diver’s paradise has started to offer underwater weddings. Havelock Island Beach Resort is your go-to property and their in-house diving facilities are totally worth your money. The marine life is extremely rich there. The resort also offers beach wedding services.
During an underwater wedding, you can view miraculous marine life without requiring any dive or snorkel experience. The professional trainers of the resort and underwater photographer will accompany you and provide you with flip cards when you are ready and surrounded by different fish. Imagine conveying “I do” under the sea amid such gorgeous natural beauty!
As a bride, if you are worried about your unglamorous looks under the water with all your scuba gear, then you can hire an underwater photographer to click some awesome pre-dive pictures of you and your partner all dressed up, in the shallow and safe water somewhere. Who says you cannot look gorgeous under the water?? All your deepest desires are sure to get fulfilled.
Moreover, you can combine your underwater wedding with a tropical honeymoon in paradise at Havelock Island Beach Resort. Here, you can have a dreamy ceremony amidst the splendid natural beauty. Your guests can have the best time of their life at your wedding because let’s face it, an underwater wedding is something extremely rare. It is not like a conventional traditional wedding, the memories of which get blurred very soon. The resort is well-equipped to pull out all the stops for a seriously fancy affair for the couple and their close ones.
Havelock Island is all about sublime silken beaches, twinkling teal shallows along with some of the best scuba diving sites. Travellers from all over the world head to this island for enjoying the natural beauty at its best. It is one of the much-preferred islands of Andaman and Nicobar Islands that is nearly 40 kilometers from Port Blair, the capital town. A traveller’s paradise, this picturesque natural heaven has gorgeous white sandy beaches fringed with green canopy of the rain-fed forests and rich coral reefs. The azure sea and blue sky attract tourists around the globe to delight in the fun and frolic here.
Havelock Island, the most romantic place in India, is very popular among newlywed couples as well. You can have the most memorable time of your life with your significant other on this little piece of heaven on earth. A popular myth about this place is that it is extremely expensive, which is so not true. Many couples cancel their plans to these amazing islands just because they think that it will burn a hole in their pocket. But it is absolutely up to you to make your trip as much expensive as you want.
To sum up, Havelock Island has something for everyone. From the party lovers to the peaceful kind, the honeymooners to the diving enthusiasts. It is the jewel of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. A trip to the emerald islands of India is incomplete without setting foot on Swaraj Dweep.
If you are planning a vacation in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, then contact Andaman Island Travels to make all your bookings. A well-known and trusted tour agency, it is located in Port Blair and is committed to helping you in planning the holiday of your dreams as per your budget and requirements. Whether it is your accommodation, airport or ferry transfer, any adventure activity that you want to do, book a cruise, or hire a car, it will take care of all your needs in the best way possible.